Bibliography

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Powerful book... [sniffles in library]

While I only got to read the intro and conclusion while skimming the middle, Patrick Hagopian's The Vietnam War in American Memory (2009) is a very provocative critique of the rhetoric of "healing" surrounding Vietnam memorials in light of Reagan-era politics and cover-ups of war crimes.

I highly recommend and the author is a great writer, however, vignettes from the My Lai massacre pop up often, so it is very upsetting at points. As is the author's mention of a law Bush passed in 2002 that authorizes military force to rescue US servicemen who may be held at the international court in The Hague.

I hope to have time to read the whole thing one day... but now need to stop reading things that depress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment