Bibliography

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Today's Previously Unknown (to me) Work of Art




Don McCullin's photograph of a painting by Peter Hobbs in a London bombsite, 1960.

I love this project by London painter Peter Hobbs in collaboration with the documentary photographer Don McCullin. Early 50s and late 60s artists around the Royal College found a profoundly unique way to use abstract painting in experiential and environmental ways with the Place exhibition and this project. The above photo not only calls attention to the marginal position of artists, but pre-figures site-specific art.

Thinking about it as "public art" (or at least art temporarily situated in a public space), I can't help but wonder how many regular passers-by would have just thought some rich dude chucked an old decoration following the ascendance of Pop. I wonder if anyone tried to take one of them home. I did this with one of the "Leviticus" objects that used to float around Williamsburg.

It's still in my apartment :-P

Sorry for the delay in posting. More blog updates to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment